Monday, July 21, 2014

Winner! + Taste of Chicago Pics


Thank you all so much for the sweet comments on the Altenew Blog Hop! Wasn't that an awesome hop, by the way?! And all the new stamp sets, holy smokes!!

Here is the lucky winner of TWO STAMP SETS of your choosing.
 

Ange, congrats! Please email me (griglion at ameritech dot net) with the two sets you would like and your address. We'll get you all set up!

Last week my husband took my youngest son to Godzilla Fest (seriously, they are huge fans!) on the only day that we could go to the Taste of Chicago. So I just went with my oldest son and took along my new camera to try out.

If you haven't been to the Taste before, it's a huge festival with local vendors where you can walk down the rows and sample a ton of different cuisines. Although, unlike when I was a kid, now the "tastes" are pretty expensive so you can't really get a ton.


 I always love going to the out-of-the-way places for photos. Unlike the entrance that most people come through north of Grant Park, this entrance faces Lake Michigan. ?!? As you may expect, not many people are coming from this direction. Even the Segway tour in the background wouldn't be able to get up the steps!


Logan convinced me to take a skyline boat tour since it was just the two of us. Love the tiny patch of light over the Hancock tower. 


He really loved being downtown with just his mom : )


Getting a Rainbow ice cream cone is part of the tradition. Five different flavors layered in a waffle cone. Orange, NY cherry, pistachio, strawberry and chocolate. Mmmm ...


Buckingham Fountain lit up at night, with the remains of our Rainbow ice cream cones.


Earlier in the week Logan had Survivor Camp where they put him in the middle of a forest and make him find his way back with a compass and other guides. At the end of the day, I announced that he's participating in Urban Survivor Camp, where he needs to find the way back to our car! We park at my husband's small parking lot at work, which is about 15-20 blocks away, so it's no easy feat. He is game.


He makes it past Pritzker Pavilion (eek, I'm SO EXCITED at how well the new camera takes low light shots!!!),


the Bean, the McDonald's we stopped at on the way there to fill up a little (like I said, those "tastes" aren't cheap!), over the Chicago river, and through the Ogilvie train station. He was off on the last block, but he assured me he would have figured it out quickly. Awesome job, Logan! 


The building where my husband works is home to quite a gifted web-spinning spider. I squealed when I saw this shot!

Thanks again for all your comments, and for checking out our pics : )

15 comments:

  1. What fun pictures! Looks like you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous post Kelly! I loe all your photos and I love your story of your day with Logan! The festival sound so fun! My fav photo is the one of you and Logan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds AND looks like such a GREAT time Kelly!! TFS ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What awesome pics, Kelly!!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos - they bring back great memories of visiting with you last year (and our hunt for the car! lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow, Kelly...these pictures are amazing! The colors and details are just incredible...especially the spider web.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you, "doing" Chicago alone with kid. I'm such a wimp. The hotel I was looking at was the Congress Plaza. Isn't that right across the street from where you were? Kinda?

    ReplyDelete
  8. how fun! love seeing the pics of you and your boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I missed ToC this year and am so not happy about it - next year for SURE! I love pictures of Chicago as the sun is setting and then night time pictures in Chi-town are always so bright lights big city - love it!
    Thanks again for sharing = )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photo's Kelly ... your young man is sure growing up fast! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw..I miss seeing Chicago and being there in the summer must be amazing! Glad that you spend some special time with Logan! I know I would love Taste events like that!! YUM! Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chicago is the place which attracts to every travel enthusiast. If you want to visit from the UK, you can also save time and money at one place. Have a safe journey.
    cheap airport parking
    cheap Luton airport parking

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love reading comments. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave one! - Kelly